.

Thursday, January 17, 2019

The Golden Lily Chapter 9

THOSE OF US WHO KNEW what to imagine for could instantly spot Moroi by their gruesome complexions and t entirely, slim builds. To most human eyes, those features s to a faultd come start of the closet further werent a lamia tip- finish. Humans skillful n unitaryd the features as striking and unusual, much as Lia regarded Jill as the perfect et presental run elbow room form. I didnt lack to influence upon stereotypes, but subsequently a quick assessment of Mr. Ivashkovs Moroi-paleness, coherent face, haunting look, and silver hair, I kind of wondered that he didnt trace mis taken for a vampire more than often. No, vampire wasnt advancedfully the correct term, I decided. more(prenominal) bid undertaker. soda pee, express Adrian stiffly. Al styles a plea indisputable.For some of us. His father examine me, and I saw his eyes f any on my cheek. He widen a hand. I took it, proud that shaking hands with Moroi was a non- heretoforet for me now. Nathan Ivashkov.Sydney perspicacious, I replied. Its rattling nice to meet you, sir.I met sagacious while I was bumming close to out here, beg offed Adrian. She was nice enough to use me a aim from ll.A. today since I dont con frame a car. Nathan looked at me in astonishment. Thats a long motor. Not nearly as long as the drive from Palm Springs, but wed figured it would be safest and more believable to let him think Adrian was in Los Angeles.I dont mind, sir, I said. I glanced oer at Adrian. Ill go energize some work through. You indirect request to text me when youre effectuate to go?Work? he requested in disgust. Come on, quick-scented. Go steal a bikini and enjoy the pool while youre hanging around.Nathan looked surrounded by us incredulously. You do her drive you out here, and now youre average waiver to make her wait around for your convenience?Really, I said. I dont Shes an Alchemist, continue Nathan. Not a chauffeur. Theres a big difference. Actually, there were days at Amber wood I doubted that. Come, send external Sage. If youve wasted your day driving my son here, the to the lowest degree I nominate do is buy you lunch. I cam stroke a panicked look at Adrian. It wasnt panicked because I was afraid of universe with Moroi. Id long since gotten used to these sorts of situations. What I was unsure of was if Adrian genuinely indispensablenessed me around for his family reunion. That hadnt been part of the plan. Also, I wasnt sure that I authentically wanted to be around for said reunion any.Dad Adrian attempted.I insist, said Nathan crisply. invent tutelage and learn common courtesy. He turned and began walking out, presumptuous wed follow. We did.Should I find a cogitate to set forth? I whispered to Adrian.Not when he uses his I insist voice, came the muttered response.For a moment, catching sight of the beautiful workbench restaurant and its sunny ocean view, I thought I could handle the Ivashkovs. Sitting out there in that warmth an d kayo would be well worth the drama. Then, Nathan walked right past the balcony doors and led us to the elevator. We followed obediently. He took us down to the hotels ground floor, to a pub called The Corkscrew. The house was dim and window slight, with low-hanging wood beams and black leather booths. Oak barrels run along the walls, and what light there was came filtered done red glass lamps. Aside from a lone barkeeper, the pub was dispatch, which didnt entirely surprise me this time of day.What did surprise me was that Nathan had taken us here kind of of the ritzy outdoor restaurant.The guy was svelte in an expensive suit that looked identical it had come straight from a Manhattan boardroom. Why hed ignore a trendy, elite restaurant for lunch and instead choose a stuffy, dark Dark.I nearly groaned. Of course the terrace wasnt an option, not with Moroi. The sunny afternoon that make such enchanting conditions for me would redeem resulted in a pretty miserable lunch fo r the Ivashkovs not that either of them looked akin they planned on enjoying this one anyway.Mr. Ivashkov, said the bartender. Nice to cop you pole.Can I get food delivered down here once more? leaseed Nathan.Of course.Again. This subterranean lair had probably been Nathans main stop for all meals since arriving in San Diego. I allowed the terrace one last, wistful thought and then followed Nathan and Adrian inside. Nathan selected a coigne table peg downed for eight people. peradventure he liked his space. Or maybe he liked pretending he was presiding all over a corporate meeting. The bartender gave us cards and took drink orders. I got coffee tree. Adrian ordered a martini, earning disapproving looks from his father and me.Its barely noon, said Nathan.I make do, said Adrian. Im strike I held out that long too. Nathan ignored the comment and turned to me. Youre very young. You essential sire however started with the Alchemists.They start us all young, I agreed. Ive been working on my own for a little over a year.I admire that. Shows a great deal of responsibility and initiative. He nodded thanks as the bartender set down a nursing nursing bottle of sparkling water. Its no secret how the Alchemists feel intimately us, but at the analogous time, your group does a peck of unassailable for us. Your efficiency is specially remarkable. Too bad my own people dont pay more attention to that example.How are social occasions with the Moroi? I asked. With the promote? Nathan almost smiled. Are you severaliseing you dont know?I did at least, I knew what the Alchemists knew. Its ever so different hearing an insiders perspective, sir.He chuckled. It was a harsh sound, like laughing wasnt some social function Nathan Ivashkov had much practice with. The situations collapse than it was. Not great, though. That girls smart, Ill run her that. I jaded that girl was Vasilisa Dragomir, teenage queen of the Moroi and Roses outgo friend. Im sure shed rather be passing dhampir laws and familial laws but she knows those are that pass to anger her opponents. So, shes finding ways to agree on otherwise issues and has won a a couple of(prenominal) of her enemies over to her already. The hereditary laws. Those were of interest to me. There were twelve royal lines among the Moroi, and Vasilisa and Jill were the and ii leftover in theirs. Current Moroi law said a monarch had to devour at least one other family member, which was how Jill had become such a political game piece. Even hardcore assassins would have a unvoiced time taking out a wellguarded queen. Removing her half sister would depict the same results, however, and invalidate Vasilisas rule. That was why Jill had ended up in hiding.Nathans thoughts followed the same lines. Shes in any case smart to hide that bastard sister of hers. I knew he meant bastard in the sense of an illegitimate child, not an insult, but I still winced. Rumor has it your people know somet hing about that. Dont suppose youd give me an insiders perspective on it?I shook my head and tried to support my tone friendly. Sorry, sir. Insight only goes so far. After a few moments of silence, Nathan cleared his throat. Well, Adrian. What is it you wanted?Adrian took a sip of his martini. Oh, did you skillful notice I was here? I thought youd come to contrive Sydney.I sank into my contribute a little. This was exactly the kind of situation Id wanted to avoid.Why must every question yield some difficult answer with you? asked Nathan wearily.Maybe its the kinds of questions you ask, Dad.This pub wasnt going to be big enough to hold the promptly increasing tension. Every instinct told me to become invisible, but I found myself speaking anyway.Adrians in college, I said. Taking art classes. Hes very talented. Adrian shot me a questioning but amused look at that. rough of his pieces were quite good. Others especially when hed been drinking looked like hed accidentally spille d paint on canvas.Id helpfully told him so on a number of occasions.Nathan looked unimpressed. Yes. Hes done that before. It didnt last. antithetic time, different place, I said. Things can change. People can change.But often, they dont, say Nathan. The bartender returned to take our lunch orders, though none of us had level(p) up looked at the menus yet. Ill just order for us all, shall I? Nathan opened the menu and scanned it promptly. Bring us a platter of the garlic butter mushrooms, the flunkey cheese fondue, the bacon-wrapped scallops, and the fried oyster Caesar salad.Enough for three on the salad, obviously.The bartender made a couple of quick notes and was gone before I could stock-still say a word.Heavy-handed much, Dad? asked Adrian. You didnt even ask if we minded you ordering. Nathan looked unconcerned. Ive eaten here before. I know whats good. Trust me, youll like it.Sage wont eat any of that.This really would be easier, I decided, if theyd twain just pretend I didnt exist.Why ever not? asked Nathan, looking at me curiously. Are you allergic to seafood?She only eats healthy stuff, said Adrian. Everything you just got is dripping in fat.A little butter wont hurt her. Youll both see that Im right. Its all good. Besides, Nathan added, pausing to sip at his water. I did order a salad for the table. Lettuce is healthy. I didnt even attempt to point out that no substance of Romaine was going to make up for fried oysters or Caesar dressing. I wouldnt have had a fortuity to speak up anyway because Adrian was on a roll and I noticed with some surprise halfway through his martini.You see? he said in disgust. Thats exactly how you operate. You assume you know crush for everyone. You just go ahead and make these decisions, not bothering to consult with anyone, because youre so trusted youre right.In my vast experience, said Nathan coldly, I am usually right. When you too possess that kind of experience when you can actually claim to be an auth ority on, well, anything then you can also be trusted with important decisions.This is lunch, Adrian argued digest. Not a life or death decision. wholly Im saying is that you could have at least made some effort to include others. Obviously, your vast experiencedoesnt apply to normal courtesies.Nathan glanced over at me. Have I been anything but courteous to you, Miss Sage? My chair, much to my dismay, didnt swallow me up or offer to hide me.Adrian sin little his martini in a gulp and held up the glass to catch the bartenders eye. leave-taking her out of it, Adrian told his father. Dont try to parry her into proving your point.I hardly need to manipulate anyone into proving my point, said Nathan. I think its made.Lunch will be fine, I blurted out, fully aware that this altercation between father and son really had nothing to do with my eating habits. I need to try more things anyway.Dont give in to him, Sydney, warned Adrian. Thats how he gets away with walking all over people especially women. Hes done it to my mom for years. The bartender silently appeared and replaced the empty martini glass with a full one.Please, said Nathan, with a heavy sigh. Lets leave your mother out of this.Should be easy enough, said Adrian. I could see lines of tension in his face. His mother was a sensitive topic. Seeing as you always do. Ive been trying to get an answer out of you for weeks on how shes doing Hell, Ive just been trying to figure out where shes even at. Is that so hard for you to give up? She cant be in maximum security. They must let her get letters. Its mitigate that you dont have contact with her while shes incarcerated, said Nathan.Even I was amazed at how coldly he spoke about his wife.Adrian sneered and took a sip of his new martini. There we are again you knowing whats best for everyone. You know, Id really, really like to think youre keeping this avoidance attitude with her because it hurts too much. I know that if the woman I loved was locked away, I d be doing everything in my power to reach her. For you? Maybe its too hard. Maybe the only way you can cope without her is to block her out and by keeping me away too. I could almost understand that.Adrian began Nathan.But thats not it, is it? You dont want me to have contact and you probably arent having contact because youre embarrassed. Adrian was really getting worked up now. You want to distance us and pretend what she did doesnt exist. You want to pretend that she doesnt exist. Shes ruined the family reputation.Nathan dogged his son with a steely look. Considering your own reputation, Id think you would see the recognition in not associating with someone who has done what shes done.What, screw up? Adrian demanded. We all screw up. Everyone makes mistakes. Thats what she did. It was bad judgment, thats all. You dont cut off the people you love for mistakes like that.She did it because of you, said Nathan. His tone left no question about what he thought of that decision . Because you couldnt leave well enough alone with that dhampir girl. You had to flaunt your kindred with her, nearly getting yourself in as much trouble as her in your aunts murder. Thats why your mother did what she did to protect you. Because of your irresponsibility, shes in prison now. All of this is your fault. Adrian went pale more so than usual and looked too blow out of the water to even attempt any response.He picked up his martini again, and I was almost certain I could see his hands shaking.It was right around then that two waiters from the upstairs restaurant showed up with our food. We stared in silence as they put our place settings and artfully laid out the platters of food. Looking at all that food made me nauseous, and it had nothing to do with the oill or salt content.Mr. Ivashkov, I began, despite every reasonable voice in my head screaming at me to shut up. Its unfair to blame Adrian for her choices, especially when he didnt even realize what she was doing . I know he would do anything for her. If hed been able to finish up this or take her place he would have.Youre sure of that, huh? Nathan was piling his menage with food and seemed quite excited about it. Neither Adrian nor I had an appetite. Well, Miss Sage, Im sorry to shatter your illusions, but it seems you like so many other young women have been fooled by my sons fast-talking ways. I can assure you, he has never done anything that didnt serve his own interests first. He has no initiative, no ambition, no follow-through. From a very early age, he was constantly interruption rules, never listening to what others had to say if it didnt suit what he wanted. Im not really surprised his college attempts have failed and I assure you, this one will too because he barely made it out of high school. It wasnt even about the drinking, the girls, and the stunts he pulled he just didnt care. He ignored his work. It was only through our influence and checkbook that he managed to gra duate. Since then, its been a constant downward spiral.Adrian looked like hed been slapped. I wanted to reach out and comfort him, but even I was still in blow out of the water from Nathans words. Adrian clearly was too. It was one thing to go on and on about how you thought your father was let down in you. It was an entirely different thing to hear your father explain it in excruciating detail. I knew because I had been in both situations.Honestly, I dont even mind the drinking so much, so long as it knocks him out and keeps him quiet, keep Nathan, through a mouth full of tail end cheese. You think his mother suffers now? I assure you, shes far better off. She was up countless nights, crying over whatever trouble hed gotten himself into. charge him away from her now isnt about me or him. Its for her. At least now, she doesnt have to hear about his latest antics or get about him. Ignorance is bliss. Shes in a better place not having contact with him, and I intend to keep it th at way. He offered the scallops to me, as though he hadnt just delivered a huge chastisement without taking a breath. You really should try this. Proteins good for you, you know.I shook my head, unable to find words.Adrian took a deep breath. Really, Dad? I come all the way here to see you, to ask you to give me some way to contact her and this is all I get? That shes better off not talking to me? Looking at him, I had a feeling he was working very hard to stay calm and reasonable.Breaking into snarky Adrian retorts wouldnt win him any ground, and he knew it.Nathan looked startled. Is that the only reason you came here? It was clear from his tone that he thought it was a monstrous reason.Adrian bit his lip, probably again to hold fanny his true feelings. I was impressed at his control.I also thought well, that maybe youd want to hear how I was doing. I thought you might be effulgent to know I was doing something useful. I particle acceleratorped.For a moment, his father simply s tared. Then, his bewilderment melted into one of those awkward laughs. Ah. Youre joking. I was stick for a moment.Im done with this, said Adrian.In a flash, he downed his martini and was out of his seat, heading toward the door. Nathan continued eating undisturbed, but I was on my feet as well. It was only when I was halfway across the pub, trying to catch up with Adrian, that Nathan bothered to say anything else.Miss Sage? Every part of me wanted to run after Adrian, but I paused to glance gage at his father. Nathan had taken out his wallet and was flipping through a stack of bills. Here. Allow me to pay you for your shooter and your time.He held the cash out, and I almost laughed. Adrian had forced himself to come here for all sorts of reasons, notes being one of them. Hed never gotten a chance to ask for it, yet here his father was, offering it up. I didnt move.I dont want anything from you, I said. Unless its an apology to Adrian. Nathan gave me another blank look. He seem ed sincerely yours confused. What do I have to apologize for?I left.Adrian had either taken the stairs or immediately caught an elevator because there was no distinguish of him outside the pub. I went back up to the lobby and peered around anxiously. A bellman passed by, and I flagged him down.Excuse me. Wheres the nearest place you can hatful?He nodded back toward the front door. Far side of the circle drive. I thanked him and practically ran outside. Sure enough, over in the designated smoking area, Adrian was leaning against an rhetorical fence in the shade of an orange tree, lighting up. I speed over to him.Adrian, I exclaimed. Are you okay?He took a long drag on his cigarette. Is that really a question you want to ask, Sage?He was out of line, I said adamantly. He had no line of business saying any of that about you. Adrian inhaled on the cigarette again and then dropped it to the sidewalk. He stamped the cigarette out with the toe of his shoe. Lets just go back to Palm S prings. I glanced back at the hotel. We should get you some water or something. You took down that vodka pretty fast.He nearly smiled. Nearly. Takes a lot more than that to make me sick. I wont throw up in your car. I promise. I just dont want to stick around and risk eyesight him again. I complied, and before long, we were back on the road again. Wed spent less time in San Diego than it had taken to drive there. Adrian stayed silent, and this time, I didnt try to coax cable him out or distract him with meaningless conversation. No words of mine would help. I doubted anyones words would help. I didnt blame Adrian for his mood. Id feel the same way if my father had laid into me like that in public. Still, I wished there was something I could do to ease Adrians pain. Some small comfort to give him a moment of peace.My chance came when I saw a small gas station outside of Escondido with a sign reading BEST SLUSHES IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA HERE AT JUMBO JIMS I remembered his waggery ab out switching to a slush-based diet. I turned my car off the highway, even though I knew it was silly. What was a slush compared to the disaster wed just left behind? Still, I had to do something anything to make Adrian feel better. He didnt even seem to notice wed halt there until I was getting out of the car.Whats up? he asked, managing to drag himself out of his dark thoughts. The look on his face tore me apart. Youve got half a tank.Be right back, I said.I returned five minutes later, a cup in each hand, and managed to knock on his window.He got out of the car, truly puzzled now. Whats going on?Slushes, I said. Cherry for you. You have to drink it out here, though. Im not risking the car.Adrian blinked a couple of times, as though maybe I was a mirage brought on by too much sunlight. What is this? A grace party for me? Because Im so pathetic?Its not always about you, I scolded. I saw the sign and wanted a slush. Figured youd want one too. If you dont, Ill throw it away and j ust drink mine. I only got one step away before he stopped me and took the graphic red slush. We leaned against the car together and drank without talking for a while. Man, he in the long run said, when we were about halfway through. There was a look of wonder in his eyes. Id forgotten how good these are. What kind did you get?Blue raspberry.He nodded and slurped forte on his. That dark mood still hung around him, and I knew a childhood beverage wasnt going to undo what his father had done anytime soon. The best I could hope for was a few moments of peace for him.We finished curtly thereafter and tossed the cups in the trash. When we got back in Latte, Adrian sighed wearily and rubbed his eyes. God, those are awesome. I think I needed that. The vodka may have hit me harder than I thought. Glad you decided to branch out into something that isnt coffee for a change.Hey, if theyd had coffee flavor, you know I wouldve gotten it.Thats disgusting, he said. There isnt enough sugar in t he world to make that even remotely He stopped and gave me a startled look. In fact, he looked so shocked that I stopped backing up and kicked the car back into park.Whats wrong? I asked.The slush. That things like 99 percent sugar. You just drank one, Sage. He seemed to interpret my silence as though perhaps I hadnt understood. You just drank luculent sugar.Maybe you drank liquid sugar, I said. Mine was sugar free. I hoped I sounded convincing.Oh. I couldnt arrange if he was relieved or disappointed. You freaked me out there for a minute.You shouldve cognize better.Yeah. I suppose so. He fell back into his blue mood, the slushes only a temporary distraction.You know what the worst part of all that was?I knew we were back to his father, not slushes. What?Youd think itd be that I didnt get the money or that he just ripped my life apart or that he has no faith in me sticking to college. But thats okay. Im used to that from him. What really bothers me is that I really did ruin my moms life.I cant imagine you did, I said, shocked at his words. Like you pointed out, we still love people who make mistakes. Im sure she loves you too. Anyway, thats something you need to discuss with her not him.He nodded. The other thing that bothered me well, he said all that in front of you. That was a shock too. I brushed it off, feeling a little flustered that he would think so much of my opinion. Why should he care? Dont worry about me. Ive been with much more abrasive people than him.No, no I mean Adrian looked at me and then quickly averted his eyes. After what he said about me, I cant stand the thought that you might think less of me. I was so surprised that I couldnt muster a response right away. When I did, I just blurted out the first thing that came to mind. Of course I dont. He still wouldnt look at me, patently not believing my words. Adrian. I laid my hand over his and matte up a warm spark of connection.He jerked his head toward me in astonishment. null he sai d could change what I think of you. Ive had my mind made up about you for a long time and its all good. Adrian looked away from me and down to where my hand covered his. I blushed and pulled away. Sorry. Id probably freaked him out.He glanced back up at me. Best thing thats happened to me all day. Lets hit the road. We got back on the highway, and I found myself distracted by two things. beginning(a) was my hand. It still tingled and felt warm from where Id touched his, which was kind of funny. People always thought vampires were cold, but they werent. Certainly not Adrian. The sensation was fading the bimestrial I drove, but I kind of wished itd stay.The other thing that kept distracting me was all that sugar Id just consumed. I kept running my vernacular over my teeth. My whole mouth was coated in sickening sweetness. I wanted to brush my teeth and then drink a bottle of mouthwash. Liquid sugar. Yes, that was exactly what it had been. I hadnt wanted to drink one, but Id cogni ze if Id just brought a slush for Adrian, he really wouldve read that as pity and refused. I had to act as though Id wanted one too, with him as an afterthought. He seemed to have believed my lie about the drinks sugar content, though a quick trip into the gas station would have quickly alerted him to the fact that Jumbo Jims most certainly didnt carry sugar-free slushes. Id asked them. Theyd laughed.Skipping lunch wasnt going to compensate for those calories, I thought glumly. And I wasnt going to get that sugary taste out of my mouth anytime soon. With as quickly as Adrian had change posture back into his depression, I suddenly felt stupid for even attempting this ruse. A slush couldnt change what his father had said, and Id be a pound up on the scale tomorrow. This probably hadnt been worth it.Then, I thought back to that outline moment by the car, and Adrians fleeting look of contentment, followed later by God, those are awesome. I think I needed that.A brief moment of peace i n the midst of his dark despair. That was what I had wanted, and that was what I had gotten. Was it worth it? I rubbed my fingertips together, still feeling that warmth.Yes, I decided. Yes, it was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment